Week 2 Lessons
- “Reach a point of stillness in every posture.” -Jim Kallett
One of the benefits of yoga versus other types of exercise is that it is not just exercise. It is a 90 minute, open-eyed meditation. To achieve that mental calm, you have to try to find stillness. Finding that stillness is much more difficult when you’re sleep deprived, soaking wet, and twisted into a pretzel trying to balance in a smelly, broiling hot room–but I guarantee if you can find mental and physical calm there, you can find it in real life when you’re stressed and rushed. Life does not give you ideal conditions. You have to find the peace regardless.
- Reasons for the heat: (1) Safe, supple muscles; (2) Sweating helps regulate your body temperature; (3) Causes vasodilation; (4) Releases toxins; and (5) Increases respiration.
- Progress is not linear: Every class is the cumulation of every class you’ve ever taken, and sometimes you may feel like you’re going “backwards.” You’re not. Like an onion, you are peeling back layers of yourself physically and psychologically. Also like an onion, it smells strongly and may cause tears.
- Teach everybody the same thing, but don’t teach everybody the same: We do the same 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises and everyone, regardless of physical ability, must to do the postures in the same way. In our frenetic, novelty-obsessed, multi-tasking, overloaded culture, the hardest thing is to doing the same thing over and over and concentrating solely on that task. We do the same class because it is meditation, but it’s also very important that everybody do the same poses and try the same way in order not to hurt themselves and to gain all of the benefits of this carefully arranged series. Still, you have to motivate people individually.
- Having doesn’t mean anything unless you know how to use it. -BC
Week 2 Highlights
- Bollywood films! In addition to the Mahabharata episodes, We’ve watched Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… and Jodhaa Akbar (we watched Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai last week). Both of these films feature Hrithik Roshan in the lead. He is ridiculously hot (see above).
- Jim Kallett’s inspirational lecture on Thursday
- We finished Half Moon dialogue presentations! Roll on posture clinics!
- Awesome food this weekend (Thai food on Friday, fish tacos on Saturday, and a sausage omelette on Sunday) + dialogue study sessions at Manhattan Beach yesterday and today in some gorgeous 80 degree weather. LOVE. IT.